Sunday, February 27, 2011

Peking Duck in Peking!

The best Peking Duck I ate in my whole life!! In a restaurant I have forgotten the name and the whereabouts. Hopefully Li WenWen and Teco can help me.
 I was fortunate enough to have been invited to my wife's best friends wedding in Beijing. One of 
my objectives is to eat Peking Duck in Beijing. Peking Duck has always been a favorite of mine. Before coming to Beijing I could probably count all the times I've eaten Peking duck in Manila. It was few and far between and the most I've ever tried was probably 3 to 4 pancakes or Peking duck sandwiches at a given meal.

 This is the first meal that we had as soon as we touched down in Beijing. I was really estatic because our hosts informed us that we were gonna eat Peking duck in our first meal. Little did I know that this meal would include the best Peking Duck that I ever tasted in my whole life. Unfortunately, i never really remembered the name and the whereabouts of this restaurant. All  can remember that the restaurant used to be a Beijing Style opera house that was transformed into a restaurant. I remember very vividly was the Peking Duck. The skin was golden brown. The fat was crispy. Not a trace of uncooked fat in the skin. The lacquer was very good, slightly sweet and a hint of saltiness. The meat was very flavorful. The texture and the flesh was really good. Unforgettable.
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/China/Beijing_Shi/Beijing-1024960/Restaurants-Beijing-Quan_Ju_De_Peking_Duck-BR-1.html

Quan Ju De is a 100 year old restaurant that specializes in Peking Duck or "kao ya" in mandarin. They are very well known and you can see in food blogs and travel websites. They have entertained dignitaries, ambassadors and VIP's from all over the world. It is a touristy restaurant. They give you a certificate that has the identification number of the Peking Duck that you've eaten. The Peking Duck that they served would probably beat the ones in Manila hands down. Don't get me wrong, it is still good Peking Duck but the one I ate in the other restaurant was notably better.



 The Quan Ju De Peking Duck.

No comments:

Post a Comment